2.13.2011

Dustbowl Worship

Everything here is covered in a fine grey dust
This is the land of Canaan
The promised land
I see no milk and honey
I see three miles of tents dappling
The foothills where wild horses used to run
I see children, dark skinned, wide eyed, hungry and thirsty
They too are covered in dust

The wind kicks up
The smell of burning garbage fills my nose
In the distance I hear wailing
I know His kingdom is here.
I see it in their feet as they cross the threshold of the clinic
I see it in their hands as they lay them on feverish forheads
I hear it in their prayers for the sick
The forgotten
The cast aside

My God is El Roi
The God who sees
Each dust covered leaf in this wasteland
Each hungry child
And I know
He can dust them off
Make them new
I know because he has wiped clean
The darkest parts of me

1 comment: