11.30.2009

Powerpoints

I have been working on my powerpoint all day getting it ready for the benefit dinner on December ninth. This has given me some time to prepare my mind and my heart for going to Cambodia. I am learning about the culture and history and have started to process what we will be stepping into.

Cambodia is a very very poor country... ravaged by war and genocide, the effects of which are still very active. I didn't realize that the peace agreement between Cambodia and Vietnam was as recent as 1991.

I ordered a book today that I hope will give me some insight into the psychology of the Cambodian people.

The book is
"The Warrior Heritage: A Psychological Perspective of Cambodian Trauma"
by Bit Seanglim, a cambodian social psychologist.

I met with Katie this week for a cup of coffee and to talk about the upcoming trip.
Katie is another RN who will be going on the trip. It was a really great conversation. I am thankful to be making connections with other healthcare workers who are interested in Global health.

I'm not the best public speaker and am somewhat dreading my presentation, but at the very least it got me to thinking more and doing research and reading about the trip.

Funds have been pouring in from so many unexpected places and I am so thankful for the provision. Thank you all for your partnership and prayers.


Here are a few pictures that I will be using in my presentation, provided through Josh Butler at Imago Dei.




Andong community



Children who live in Andong Community


I am excited to see how my experience with an elderly population of patients will be used in such a different setting.


Blessings,
Evangel

No comments:

Post a Comment