The village at Anlong Vang was so welcoming. The ginger chicken was much spicier, and I could almost feel the Thai influence. Our clinic went really well as we all got in the groove and things flowed really easily. Everyone in the village was very welcoming. There was a different feel to the air. Anlong Vang is up near the Thai border and is much more forested. It was kind of like being in the Jungle. We met some really amazing people and there was one lady with super pink cheeks that was asking all the guys if they needed a Khmer wife. She was the comedian of the village and gave us all a few good laughs. The babies were a little more afraid of us than down in Andong village, and I thought maybe they don't see too many westerners up where they live.
We drove back to Siem Reap and spent the night. Then yesterday we watched the sunrise from Ankor Wat. Our group climbed a small mountain in the dawn light and reached the temple at the top just as the sun was rising. As we walked through the jungle up the path to the temple the birds and animals around were waking and singing. It was a surreal experience. Ankor Wat is a massive complex, formidable and beautiful... but empty feeling somehow. My camera batteries died right after we arrived, so I was forced out from behind my camera and into experiencing the place. I hadn't realized how much I hide behind my camera at times, thinking about how to capture the moment in a beautiful way instead of really being in the moment.
We then flew to Hanoi and we will spend a few days with our friends here. I am really sad to be leaving Cambodia and feel like I want to stay here longer. I feel a sense of family already with the people I have met. At the very least I know I will be coming back. Guess I caught the Cambodia bug and suprised myself. Vietnam has a much different feel to it. The minute we stepped off the plane, I could feel the difference in the air. In many ways it reminded me of NYC, bustling and loud, much more of an urban feel than Pnom Penh.
Can't wait to see you all in a few days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment