Today I went back to the hospital and helped out in the OR. I assisted the surgeon with about 5 bone biopsies and one reconstructive surgery.
The reconstructive surgery was on a 6 year old boy who had burns on his hand and wrist. His thumb was contracted inward so that it was not functional at all. The plastic surgeon released the contractures and reconstructed his wrist and hand. It was amazing to see his hand at the end of the surgery and know that he will be able to use it now. The surgeon was a great teacher and I got to practise some OR skills.
It took an hour and a half to get to the hospital in the morning and about an hour to get home. Traffic is atrocious in POP. On the way I saw a Haitian piglet get hit by a car. It seemed to recover and run off without limping, so hopefully it will be ok.
Three more days and I will be coming home. I can't wait to see you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Once again, thanks for sharing this experience with us. May many find healing for body and soul through the ministry of MTI there in Haiti. Can hardly wait to see you Saturday!
ReplyDelete