Slept Fabulous last night. There is even an air-conditioner in the MTI team room...
This morning, one of the Haitian MTI staff took Snowie and I to his church.
I don't know what I was expecting, but maybe I was spoiled by the experience in Cambodia. I figured there would be a Haitian pastor and Haitian worship music. Instead there was a white American preaching, and the songs were all in English with typical western church music.
I wanted so desperately to see Haitians worshiping in Creole.
I did not want to hear the Health Gospel come out of that man's mouth, and I'm sure I visibly cringed when it did. At least he didn't launch into the wealth gospel also. yikes.
Afterwards, Wilson took Snowie and I on a little tour of Port-au-Prince. We drove downtown to the most devastated part of the city. There really are no words to express the brokeness encountered there. The poverty is overwhelming. People were picking through the rubble of destroyed buildings to find something they might be able to sell.
I know that God has shown up in the most broken areas of my life and made beautiful changes, and that is my hope for the broken parts of Haiti.
For lunch we stopped at a restaraunt and ordered Crepes with ham and cheese. Wilson called it something like "crepes salad" and it turned into "Salty Crepes" for us.
Then we drove home in the rain and I read a little more of "Mountains beyond Mountains" about Dr. Paul Farmer and his work in Haiti with Partners in Health.
Did I mention I got to hold a baby goat today? That made my day :)

How did you get your hands on that cute little goat?
ReplyDeleteWhere there is a goat, there is a way.
ReplyDeleteLOL!!! You are too funny and you look so happy, even if it is hot and sweaty.
ReplyDeleteyeah That's why I haven't found a church here (well one of the many reasons). It's AMAZING to me that the Health and wealth gospel is alive and well in developing countries and it pisses me off.
ReplyDelete